DISCERN Insights-as-a-Service Gives Investors Unique Visibility Into Real Estate as Momentous GICS Deadline Approaches
Investors Clamor to Understand Their Exposure in Real Estate as Spotlight Turns to New GICS Headline-Level Sector
SAN MATEO, CA--(Marketwired - August 16, 2016) - DISCERN, the leader in Insights-as-a-Service for investment professionals and corporate executives, today announced that DISCERN Real Estate Insights-as-a-Service provides financial decision-makers with critical signals, visual analytics and insights about opportunities and risks in real estate markets as investors prepare for the new Real Estate GICS on August 31, 2016.
Industry insiders believe adding the new Real Estate sector to the Global Industry Classification Standard (GICS®), could be the biggest shift in equity asset allocations to hit the financial industry in 15 years. Many experts also predict that the new 11th headline-level sector may have a greater impact on investors who previously overlooked REITs.
"A dedicated Real Estate sector for the GICS will prompt all investors to ask more questions about their exposure to REITs," said Harry Blount, CEO at DISCERN. "Real Estate's prominence will increase and garner attention from a broader group of institutional investors, individual investors and financial advisors, which will result in not only greater transparency, but also increased activity from a more diversified group of owners."
Cohen & Steers Executive Vice President and Portfolio Manager Thomas Bohjalian was quoted as saying, "with the added transparency in [Real Estate] sector performance, managers may want to consider the potential consequences of being underweight in an asset class that has outperformed the S&P 500 over the trailing 10-, 20- and 30-year periods, as well as in [seven] of the past 10 calendar years." (Source: REIT Magazine Effects of the Upcoming GICS Classification for the REITS Industry, 5/24/16)
Experts predict that the amount of subsequent investment in Real Estate could be meaningful, with estimates ranging from $30 billion to $100 billion in new capital coming into the industry, as equity funds that have been significantly underweight in real estate look to achieve market-neutral positioning. (Source: REIT Magazine, Effects of the Upcoming GICS Classification for the REITS Industry, 5/24/16)
"This change puts additional pressure on investors who are already at risk of losing their competitive edge due to reliance on antiquated tools that fail to capture investment insights buried in the growing volume and variety of information from non-financial and financial sources," said DISCERN Real Estate Curator Dave Wigginton. "Investors across the board need DISCERN's next-generation platform to gain a sustainable information advantage."
DISCERN Real Estate Insights-as-a-Service
DISCERN Real Estate Insights-as-a-Service is a cloud-based subscription service that connects financial decision-makers to a broad and growing ecosystem of commercial and public data that is persistently augmented through machine-learning and human domain expert synthesis.
The service can be set up in minutes, instantly configurable and accessible through any browser-enabled device. Users are kept apprised of important developments, emerging threats and opportunities affecting real estate through Data-as-a-Service, personalized Signals-as-a-Service® and visual Analytics-as-a-Service, which supply critical context and insight to the decision-making process.
Key components of the platform include:
- Data-as-a-Service -- Includes data on more than 120 US REITs and scans thousands of different valuation relationships daily. Data on more than 100,000,000 residential properties around the U.S., including the only complete national set of active for-sale and rental real estate listings, and the unique leading indicators of housing market demand, home prices, and sales rates. The product also weaves in more than 8 billion data points including information on commercial and multi-family lease rates.
- Signals-as-a-Service® --Notifies subscribers of actionable developments such as valuation and location events and anomalies, shifts in market share and changes in profitability as they are identified. These signals can be used to automate the subscriber's buy-sell screening process. Notifications are powered by DISCERN's proprietary signal processing engine and leverage machine-learning, pattern detection and natural language processing.
- Analytics-as-a-Service -- Empowers users to identify outliers, share insights, test theses, and go from awareness to informed decision faster.
- Signal Analytics -- Assess the sensitivity of a signal and see how its predictive value changes using different trigger points.
- Scenario Analytics -- Test an investment's future price sensitivity to changes in key variables.
- Outlier Analytics -- Identify actionable outliers and anomalies.
- Contextual Analytics -- Synthesis of multiple charts, graphs, maps and images to create a contextual analytics tool that empowers the user to more rapidly go from awareness to informed decision. Users can simultaneously view:
- Interplay of key attributes over time
- Ranking of key attributes at a point in time
- Related companies and non-obvious relationships in the data
- Individual and aggregate attributes by company, products, marketplaces and assets
- Reports-as-a-Service -- Accelerates sharing of insights with customers and colleagues. Users can select and load the optimal visuals from DISCERN's Infinite Charts into a chosen report template, add comments and publish. Reports can be automated in a pre-determined format and delivered on a schedule or on-demand.
DISCERN, the leader in Insights-as-a-Service for investment professionals and corporate executives, delivers personalized insights through data, signals and visuals. Financial decision-makers gain a sustainable information advantage through DISCERN's next-generation platform, which leverages cognitive analytics to produce more insights and accelerates the time from 'awareness to informed decision.' DISCERN's unique Signals-as-a-Service® delivers personalized signals to subscribers about investment-related anomalies and events. The DISCERN Insights-as-a-Service platform is the only solution that enables both interactive and passive financial insight discovery. Seven of the 10 largest fund managers in the United States are DISCERN customers. Founded in 2009, the company is privately held and is headquartered in Silicon Valley.
Signals-as-a-Service® is a registered trademark owned by DISCERN. All other trademarks and registered trademarks in this document are the properties of their respective owners.