DISCERN is in search of an experienced Chief Technology Officer to assure the successful execution of the company’s business mission through development and deployment of our suite of cutting edge SaaS products. The right candidate will be passionate about envisioning the company’s service offerings as a web-based business, leading the implementation of innovative web applications, and planning strategically for growth and risk.
STRATEGY & PLANNING
- In partnership with the company’s executive management, identify opportunities and risks for delivering the company’s SaaS products, including identification of competitive services, opportunities for innovation, and assessment of marketplace obstacles and technical hurdles to the business success.
- Identify technology trends and evolving social behavior that may support or impede the success of the business.
- Evaluate and identify appropriate technology platforms (including web application frameworks and the deployment stack) for delivering the company’s services.
- Lead strategic planning to achieve business goals by identifying and prioritizing development initiatives and setting timetables for the evaluation, development, and deployment of all web-based services.
- Participate as a member of the senior management team in establishing governance processes of direction and control to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately.
- Establish a governance process that meets government, partner, and company expectations for customer information privacy.
- Direct development and execution of an enterprise-wide information security plan that protects the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the company’s data and servers.
- Direct development and execution of an enterprise-wide disaster recovery and business continuity plan.
- Communicate the company’s technology strategy to investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices by attending relevant conferences and reading widely (including reading your peers’ blogs!).
- Define and communicate company values and standards for acquiring or developing systems, equipment, or software within the company.
- Ensure that technology standards and best practices are maintained across the organization.
- Share knowledge, mentor, and educate the organization’s investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders with regard to the company’s technological vision, opportunities, and challenges.
- Ensure company technical problems are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Ensure the company’s internal technological processes and customer-facing services comply with community expectations and applicable laws and regulations for privacy, security, and social responsibility.
- Promote achievement of the company’s business goals within a context of community collaboration by developing policies for sharing software code, technological innovation, business processes, and other intellectual property.
- Contribute to open source software development, standardization of technologies, and evolution of best practices by collaborating with peers outside the company, releasing code, presenting at conferences, and writing for publication (online or offline).
IMPLEMENTATION & DEPLOYMENT
- Collaborate with the founders and potential customers to develop use cases (or user stories) and specifications that describe the implementation of the company’s services as a web application.
- Collaborate with a User Experience Designer, Product Manager and potential customers to prepare wireframes or mockups of a prototype of the company’s web application.
- Select or define the company’s software development methodology.
- Establish a specification conformance and testing regimen based on user stories and the User Experience design.
- Promulgate coding conventions and documentation standards.
- Select, deploy, and monitor performance profiling tools and procedures.
- Evaluate and select web application hosting providers.
- Establish and monitor a web analytics regime that measures site traffic and application usage relative to business goals.
- Support the marketing process by providing implementation of technical requirements for Internet marketing and search engine optimization.
- As a member of the senior management team, establish a customer service and support process, with particular responsibility for web-based services that implement the support function. Establish a process to integrate customer service and support with the software engineering process to support resolution of customer issues and improve application usability.
Formal Education & Certification
- Advanced degree in the field of computer science, business administration, or another rigorous discipline.
- Early stage company experience desirable.